Car accidents occur every single day in Colorado. They are caused by poor weather conditions, faulty roads, defective auto parts, and driver negligence. These accidents often lead to wide range of injuries – some minor and some absolutely horrific and life threatening. These injuries are horrific not only because of their severity, but also because of the complications that often occur during recovery.
If you have been severely injured in a car accident in Colorado, it is important to understand how life-changing these injuries can truly be. An experienced Colorado Springs car accident attorney can help you through this difficult time and ensure that you receive the maximum compensation to which you are entitled.
Top 5 Horrific Car Accident Injuries
While any injury can be severe and life-threatening, some are simply worse than others. If you sustain any of these injuries, you are likely in for a long and arduous recovery.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries – According to the Brain Injury Association website, more than 3.5 million Americans will sustain a brain injury each and every year. Traumatic brain injuries are some of the worst injuries an accident victim can sustain because they often result in permanent disability and impairment. Due to blunt force trauma, the brain can sustain serious bleeding, which often leads to permanent vision, speech, or memory impairment, as well as emotional dysfunction. In fact, it is a contributing factor to one-third of all injury related deaths in the United States.
- Facial Injuries – Throughout your life, your face is how people identify you. Any injury to your face can result in terrible and permanent scarring and disfigurement. Lacerations, burns, and fractures of the face are commonly caused by airbags, the dashboard, or steering wheel. These injuries are often difficult to repair and require multiple cosmetic surgeries and skin grafts. Even when surgeons are able to repair these injuries—you will likely never look the same. This can lead to severe depression and emotional trauma.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – Spinal cord injuries are some of the most severe injuries because they often lead to permanent or complete paralysis. Misplaced bone fragments, disc rupture, and spinal cord tears can damage the transmission of signals between the brain and the body. This can lead to loss of feeling and function in extremities. Permanent paralysis is devastating and can completely alter the course of an accident victim’s life. If the paralysis is complete and the result of a cervical fracture, the accident victim may also be on a ventilator for the remainder of their life.
- Internal Organ Damage – Life threatening injuries to the organs are serious and often require emergency diagnosis and surgery. They are most commonly caused by a puncture due to fractured ribs. Organ damage can quickly turn deadly, especially if it is not diagnosed quickly. Internal bleeding is often difficult to stop and can result in permanent damage to the organ or even death.
- Back & Neck Injuries – Sprain, strains, and herniated discs are all common lower back injuries after a devastating car accident. These injuries often cause significant pain and mobility impairment. Whiplash is the most common car accident neck injury. Cervical dislocation and disc injury are also common, and can be quite painful and debilitating. While they may not seem horrific at first, back and neck injuries often result in chronic pain and disability throughout life and result in decreased quality of life for accident victims.
Contact Our Colorado Springs Car Accident Attorneys
If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident that was caused by another person’s negligence, our attorneys can help. At the Rector Law Firm, our Colorado Springs car accident attorneys have the experience and the resources to build a case that is designed to obtain maximum compensation for our clients. Call us today at 719-578-1106 for a free initial consultation and review of your case.