In January, Jeff and Krysten Fogg were traveling behind a semi-truck on U.S. 36 between Cherryvale Road and McCaslin Boulevard in Boulder County. As they followed behind the truck, it began to slow down and roll backwards. Ultimately, the truck jackknifed. Immediately, the couple sprang to action. Suspecting that something had happened to the truck driver, they rushed to perform CPR on the driver and called 911. As they rushed to his aide, however, something horrific happened.
A pickup truck traveling more than 60 mph slammed into their SUV, with their 2-year-old son inside. They could only watch as the car pushed the SUV and toddler at least 30 feet. Luckily the baby was properly restrained in his car seat at the time of the crash and was unharmed.
Helping Accident Victims Without Endangering Others
This accident highlights the importance of knowing how to help car accident victims safely if you happen to be the first to arrive at the scene of an accident. If you are the first to witness an accident, it is important to lend aide and call 911. Yet, only if you can do so safely. Before leaving your vehicle to help car accident victims, consider these tips:
- Do not approach the vehicle unless you are certain that the accident scene is safe
- Do not leave your own vehicle in the middle of traffic
- Pull your vehicle off the road somewhere safe
- Call 911 immediately before exiting your vehicle
- If there are cones or triangles place them out around the vehicle
- Do not move accident victims
- Be cautious of broken glass, broken power lines, fuel spills on the road, etc
- Wait for police and paramedics to arrive
- Make notes about what you witnessed
While your first instinct may be to rush out of the vehicle to help accident victims, the best thing you can do is to call 911. If you are able to pull over and secure your vehicle safely, then stay with the accident victims and keep them calm until help arrives. Do not let them leave their vehicle and do not attempt to move them.
Contact Our Colorado Springs Car Accident Attorneys
If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident, we know the struggles you will face. At the Rector Law Firm, our Colorado Springs car accident attorneys have the experience and the resources to build a case that is designed to obtain maximum compensation for our clients. Call us today at 719-578-1106 for a free initial consultation and review of your case.