Choosing a personal injury attorney that will obtain the best results for you is very important! I will explain here what to look for when choosing an attorney in personal injury cases like car accidents, motorcycle accidents, slip and falls, dog attacks, and all other personal injury situations.
- Specialty.You want to choose an attorney who specializes in personal injury law. For example, our office primarily works in the area of personal injury law. When you have an attorney who limits their work to personal injury, that attorney is least likely to make mistakes in your case and more likely to keep up with the continuing and confusing area of law that may surround many different accident situations. It is very important that personal injury attorneys keep up with the changing case and statutory law that develops each year in Colorado. An attorney who also practices real estate or drafts Wills, for example, just does not have the time to keep up with the many changes in personal injury law. So, always pick an attorney who specializes only in personal injury law and car accidents. You would not ask your family doctor to operate on your brain, so do not ask your real estate lawyer to handle your car accident!
- Experience.You should choose a personal injury attorney who has many years of experience dealing only in personal injury cases. For example, each of our attorneys used to practice insurance defense which is an attorney who defends the insurance company in personal injury cases. As you can imagine, we became very experienced in personal injury by seeing the inside workings of the insurance claims departments and just how insurance adjusters evaluate claims and the attorneys on the other side. So, years of experience and experience on the insurance side is an added plus. You never want to go to those huge firms who let junior/young attorneys get experience by handling your case. Just like you want an experienced doctor performing your surgery, and not a young, inexperienced doctor, you want the same in your lawyer!
- Contingency Fees.You should only choose an attorney who will handle your case on a contingency basis. In other words, if the attorney wins or settles your case, then he gets a percentage of the gross settlement or recovery. This is standard in handling personal injury cases as most people do not want or cannot pay an attorney by the hour to handle their case. Contingency fees were developed so the average person could afford to hire a good attorney.
- Initial Meeting.It is important to meet with an attorney as soon as you possibly can, after your accident or injury. You can lose many valuable legal rights and even lose your right to make a claim completely if you do not see an attorney as soon as possible! An attorney should never charge you for this initial meeting. If an attorney does try to charge you for an initial meeting, do not walk but run away! The initial meeting serves as a way for you to become comfortable with your attorney and knowledgeable about your case and your rights. If you do not feel comfortable with your attorney or are not able to communicate with this attorney, then seek out another attorney.
- What to expect from your attorney. Your attorney works on your behalf to get you the greatest settlement he can possibly obtain. If your attorney does not return your emails or phone calls, then he does not care too much about you or your case. Make sure that your attorney treats you as priority number 1 and always communicates with you throughout your case. You and your attorney need to work together to achieve success in your case so please listen closely to your attorney’s advice and make sure you attend all your doctor’s appointments. You want to choose the right attorney from the very beginning because time is of the essence in prosecuting personal injury cases and dealing with the insurance companies from a position of strength. The Rector Law Firm pledges to work hard on your case at all times and to maintain constant communication with our clients.